Follow Me

Thursday, August 13, 2015






THEATRICAL AUGUST

Each year, at the beginning of August, the Twin Cities play host to the Minneapolis Fringe Festival.  Fringe Festivals happen all over the world, and Minneapolis has one of the larger one in this country.  While I always try to attend some of the shows, I had no idea that this year it would overlap with another theater adventure.

On the Sunday evening of the first weekend of Fringe I had the opportunity to attend the closing performance of Kinky Boots.  I wasn’t sure I wanted to see it, but my friend Mike who ushers at that theater, told me it was amazing and that I had to see it.  So I did, and it was awesome. 


I had seen the movie so was familiar with the basic story line, and I knew that Cyndi Lauper had written the music so that would also be stellar, but I wasn’t prepared for how truly impressive the show was.  I ended the evening by simply saying, “WOW!!!”  If you have a chance to see the show, I highly recommend that you do.

A few nights after seeing Kinky Boots, I attended a friend’s show at the Fringe Fest.  My friend Dillon, who was diagnosed with autism early on in his life, wrote and produced the play, An Autistic Life Through Historty.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the show was so incredibly well done.

Dillon gave us a glimpse inside an autistic person’s world, in a way that was both humorous and informative.  It was such a brilliant way to help us understand how they see things, and I am so happy that I had the opportunity to see his show.


Last week turned out to be quite the theater week for me.  I wasn’t planning on seeing Kinky Boots, but then the opportunity presented itself, and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to see any of the Fringe shows, but then I realized that my friend Dillon’s play, An Autistic Life Through Historty, was scheduled on the only night I had open.  It sure seemed like the universe wanted me to be at those shows, and I’m so glad I was.


***Have you seen any good theater productions lately?











No comments:

Post a Comment