Follow Me

Monday, January 19, 2015





YESTERYEAR’S KITCHEN

January has been fairly cold so far with temperatures hanging in the sub-zero range for most of the month, but now we warming up into the 30’s for a few days.  While 30-degrees sounds cold to many people, it’s actually a heat wave at this time of year in Minnesota.


The Turnblad Mansion at the American Swedish Institute.



When the weather turns cold like this, one of my favorite places to be is in the kitchen.  The heat from the stove and oven, combined with the wonderful aromas of the food I’m making, warms me up and I don’t mind the cold at all.  While I like being in my own kitchen, it’s even more fun for me to be in someone else’s kitchen, so much so, that even when I visit historic homes, I’m always interested in seeing their kitchens and learning how they worked.

I love this beautiful, classic, old stove.


I’ve mentioned before how much I love the Turnblad Mansion here in Minneapolis, which is part of the American Swedish Institute.  The home is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m struck anew by its beauty each time I visit.  A little over a year ago, while I was visiting there, I was pleased that they had opened up a new section of the house – the kitchen.

I'm jealous of the ample storage space in this kitchen.


There are several aspects to the kitchen that I find especially appealing.  First I love the beautiful old stove.  It’s such a classic, and so perfect for the house, but while I love the stove, I was more impressed by – and a little jealous of – the pantry.  This area housed all of the backing supplies with ample counter space to work at, and to prep the final presentations. 




Even more important to me was the cupboard space for storing china.  As someone who entertains a lot, and who has several sets of china and dishes, I appreciate having adequate space to store them.  I never seem to have enough cupboard space in my apartment.




The Turnblad mansion at the American Swedish Institute remains one of my favorite homes in Minneapolis, and it became even more special for me, when I was finally able to glimpse the kitchen that served at its heart.  The kitchen truly is the working heart of a home, and this beautiful lovely kitchen fills that role perfectly,


***What are your thoughts on the kitchen’s role in a home?








No comments:

Post a Comment