Follow Me

Tuesday, July 8, 2014





JULY 4th WEEKEND MEMORIES

The Fourth of July is always a festive time of year with all of the celebrations honoring our independence from Britain, but when it falls on a Friday (like this year) or a Monday it becomes even more festive! Everyone loves a three-day weekend. 

This year my holiday weekend actually began on Thursday.  I had the day off and was waiting for my friend Connie to arrive from Iowa for the week, but I wasn’t idle with that time.  My day began by having coffee with my friend Jeni at Isle’s Bun and Coffee and catching up on things.  It was so nice to be sitting outside at the café table just chatting and sipping that dark elixir that gives me life in the morning.  Of course we also indulged in some of their tasty treats.  I’m totally addicted to their homemade caramel rolls!!!

A delicious way to start the holiday weekend.

Following my morning coffee klatch I needed to finish cleaning my apartment before Connie arrived around 3:30 pm.  Once she got to my place and we had caught up on everything, we made a quick trip to the Mall Of America (Connie LOVES to shop) to scan for things that she would pick up later in the week before returning home.  We then headed back to my place to rest up for the holiday events the next day.


My friends Steve and Todd joined Connie and me for the holiday and our celebration began with a visit to Historic Fort Snelling for re-enactments of battles and tours of the grounds.  I had never been there before and let me just say it was the perfect event to put me in the holiday spirit.  Our time there was amazing and that will be the subject of a future post.

Historic Fort Snelling.

The British . . .

. . . and American soldiers prepare for battle.

After we left the fort we stopped by a friend’s birthday party for a little while before heading out to watch fireworks, which were an amazing way to bring the day to a close.


I love watching fireworks on the Fourth of July!

On Saturday Connie and Todd and I drove to Canterbury Park to enjoy an afternoon of horse racing.  This was only my second time there, and it was a lot of fun as we were also able to see a bit of history being made there that day.  Even though I tended to bet somewhat conservatively, I still came away with less money than what I arrived with, but that was all part of the fun.


Long shot, Burning Fuhry, became the highest pay out horse 
in the history of Canterbury Park.

After a good night’s sleep, we decided on Sunday it was time for some serious shopping at the Albertville Outlet Mall.  We arrived there around noon and grabbed a quick lunch before tackling the stores.  I only bought a few things, while Connie took full advantage of the GREAT sales!  Her favorite purchases were a matching purse, wallet, and iPhone case from Fossil.  I even found a couple of iPhone cases there myself before it was time to leave.

Connie had a very successful shopping day at Fossil.

After braving the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way back to the city we ended our evening with pie and coffee.  It was nice and relaxing way to close out the weekend.  My long holiday weekend was very busy but also a great deal of fun.  Connie is visiting until Wednesday and I’m sure there will be more fun adventures ahead this week.















No comments:

Post a Comment