Follow Me

Sunday, October 18, 2015





APPLE PICKING

One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to go apple picking.  For me, it’s a sure sign that fall is definitely here. What is perhaps most interesting for me, is that this wasn’t something my family did as I was growing up. In fact, I really only discovered this in my adult years. Sure I knew people went apple picking, but it wasn’t something that had I done, however, now I look forward to it every year.

The orchard was huge.


The trees were filled with apples.



There was a wedding at the orchard while we were there.

Apple picking is a great social activity. It’s fun to team up with friends, drive to the orchard, and pick a variety of apples. On top of that, you’re able to choose from several apple pastries to buy and eat, as well as great apple cider. You may also purchase pre-bagged apples, which is a wonderful way to get varieties that are not currently available for picking.

We purchased our apple bag, and then headed out to the orchard.


Marisa and Sarah were busy filling their bags with apples.


The sunflower maze was a unique offering.

This year we went to Minnesota Harvest Apple Orchard, just southwest of the Minneapolis. The day was beautiful, as we were blessed with the perfect weather to be in the orchard.  It was sunny and warm, with just a touch of crispness in the air. Perfect in every way. Minnesota Harvest also offers a variety of other fun activities, including an apple launcher (think giant sling-shot with apples), and a sunflower maze.  The sunflower maze was okay, but I think it would have been much more fun had it been a corn maze.


Delicious apple pastries.




The main building also served up all sorts of apple themed sweet treats, and we made sure to experience them. In addition, to the apple products, there was also an area designed to be a street market, complete with several shops. I was little bothered by that, because most these shops were not related to the orchard and its products. They were merely selling commercial gift items.



I have to admit that I kind of want one of these goats.

Going apple picking is something I look forward to every year. It’s a great way to spend time with friends, while reaping some of the delicious bounty of the season.


***Do you have a favorite place to go apple picking?









No comments:

Post a Comment