Follow Me

Wednesday, February 25, 2015





THEATER MAGIC TO DO

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to attend a performance of “Pippin” at the Orpheum Theater during its closing weekend.  I first became familiar with Pippin when I was in Junior High School and the show had only been around for a couple of years.  I saw the cast perform on the Tony Awards, and somewhere had heard the cast album, and instantly fell in love with the music.  Later I bought my own copy of the album and played it non-stop, committing all of the songs to memory.

The beautifully ornate lobby . . . 

. . . Led into the theater which was crown by this gorgeous chandelier.

I was already familiar with cast members, Ben Vereen who played the narrator, and Irene Ryan (of Beverly Hillbillies fame) who played Pippin’s grandmother – her soog “Time to Take Time” is still my favorite from the show.  I was also familiar with John Rubinstein who play Pippin, and would go on to star in the television series “Family” which I watched faithfully.  And finally, I loved Jill Clayburgh, who later starred in films like “An Unmarried Woman” and “Bridesmaids” which came out the year after she died.  Yes I knew the cast and loved the music, but sadly had never seen the show performed live.




In 2013 there was a Broadway revival of the show that is now touring the country, and last week it was here in Minneapolis.  As a special treat to myself, I went to the show, and was able to see it performed live for the very first time.  I loved it!

The Orpheum is a great theater to see shows in.  It originally opened in 1921 as the Hennepin Theater, and as is the case with many such theaters, time took its toll.  The theater underwent an extensive renovation and reopened in 1993, and is now part of the Hennepin Theater Trust which also maintains three other restored theaters on Hennepin Avenue.



To say I was pleased with the performance would be an understatement.  The cast was amazing, the acrobatics and aerial performances were breathtaking, and the subtle magic tricks were mesmerizing – I’m still not sure how Fastrada got into that red dress so fast.

The only thing I was disappointed in was that they had changed the lyrics to the song “War is a Science,” but that was minor compared to how wonderful the show was.  Needless to say, it was an amazing evening for me.


What I wore to the theater:    
               Blue Shirt:  Jos. A. Banks
               Tan Sweater vest:  Polo Ralph Lauren
               Bow Tie:  The Bow Tie Shoppe
               Navy Pants:  Izod
               Shoes:  Allen Edmonds Shelton
               Socks:  Vannucci

               Phone Case: J. Crew
               Watch: Timex
               Watch Strap:  Timex


***What are some of your favorite musicals?










No comments:

Post a Comment