Follow Me

Thursday, December 12, 2013




THE CHRISTMAS VILLAGE IS UP

The first sign that the Holidays are approaching is the annual appearance of my Christmas village.  I’ve been collecting this village from Department 56 for about fifteen years and have amassed quite a large metropolis.  Needless to say not all of the buildings are able to be displayed at one time.  I simply don’t have the space.  So each year I pick and choose which buildings will be displayed, which ensures that each year the look of the village is just a little bit different.




This year I went with a “Colonial” theme and have three distinct areas.  The main city is built up around red brick buildings with a few wooden buildings nestled between.  There are stately government buildings, churches, and merchants of all types. 

The second area (which sits atop some book cases) represents a small village on the outskirts of the city.  Here we find a transition between urban and rural life, as homes become much more simple, and businesses (such as a grain mill) take on a more “country” feel. 





Finally, on the entertainment center, we have the farms that surround the city.  Here is the lifeblood and heartbeat of the Colonial city.  The three areas, though small by themselves, combine to form a wonderful holiday landscape.



Every year, my friends excitedly wait to see what form my village will take.  Some are able to see its “unveiling” at my Thanksgiving dinner, while most count on seeing it at one of the numerous other events I host during the Holidays.




Although, it’s a bit smaller this year, my village is still a focal point of my Holiday decorating.












No comments:

Post a Comment