Follow Me

Thursday, December 5, 2013





CHRISTMAS:  FIFTY YEARS AGO

Nothing will age you faster than finding a few old family Christmas photos and realizing that they’re fifty years old . . . and you’re in them.  While I suddenly feel much older, I must say how fun it is to revisit those memories all of these years later.

My brothers and sister and me before heading out to Christmas Mass.

My mother by the Christmas tree.

Christmas has always been a wonderful and joy filled time in my family.  From early on I can remember the house being filled with extended family from Christmas through New Year’s Day.  Each celebration had its own flavor and feel.  The Christmas menu was the traditional turkey and stuffing dinner, and always included a “prune-whip” salad (my Grandfather’s favorite, but definitely not mine) and my Grandmother’s cranberry relish, which was, and still is, my favorite.  The menu for New Year’s Day was pretty much the same, although a roasted goose replaced the turkey.


My great-uncle Alfred and his sister, my great-aunt Nettie, 
were frequent guests in our home during the Holidays.


Cousins were always abundant at this time of year.


Babies always make the Holiday special.

Christmas was always a time for family, but as the extended family grew, most split off to continue their own Christmas traditions – carrying on some of the old while adding some new ones.  I don’t spend the holidays with my family now, but instead host the holiday dinners for my family of friends.  Even though I celebrate with new people, the old traditions have followed me into these celebrations.  Turkey and stuffing is the center of the holiday meal, and my Grandmother’s cranberry relish makes it’s appearance each year.


My maternal grandparents checking out our Christmas presents.


Exhausted after all of the Holiday Festivities.

Growing up, my family never had a great deal of money but we never seemed to want for anything.  Mom and Dad always found ways to make Christmas and the entire Holiday Season special.  We were truly blessed indeed, and for that I am very grateful.










1 comment: