Follow Me

Tuesday, October 8, 2013




THE THRIFTED SWEATER

As much as I love fall, there is always a piece of me that wants to hold on to summer for as long as I can.  Now that we’ve entered into October, Mother Nature has determined that that is no longer possible, as our temperatures have cooled significantly.

Two very nice shetland wool sweaters.
I don’t mind though, as it gives me the opportunity to bring out my favorite sweaters.  There is something wonderful about these first days of layering clothes in the fall, and sweaters are the perfect partner to sports events, apple picking, bonfires, corn mazes, and pumpkin patches. Virtually every fall active is made better with the addition a cozy and warm sweater.

A great Irish Fisherman's sweater and a beautiful Fair Isles sweater.

I also found these two amazing cashmere sweaters.
It’s no secret that I love thrifting, and I have been fortunate to find several wonderful sweaters on these adventures, which have become staples in my fall – and winter – wardrobe while not breaking my bank account.  With that in mind, I thought I would share a few of the thrifted treasures that help keep me warm as the temperatures cool.  If you haven’t already, I hope you will explore the local thrift stores in your area to see what wonders await you this fall. 














4 comments:

  1. Totally needed this with winter coming and the fall temps, time to cuddle with the honey by the fire. What's your take on scarfs? What makes a good scarf? How do you color coordinate the scarf with the rest of the outfit? If I got one of the above sweaters, would it matter what kind of scarf I wore since ideally the sweater will be under a jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm all about the small details, so I would say that sweaters and scarves should coordinate, as hopefully they both coordinate with your whole outfit. Having said that, I'm the first to admit that I am known to break my own rule. For certain though, your scarf should coordinate or compliment with your jacket - no breaking of that rule. What makes for a good scarf is a highly personal opinion, and what I think is important many not be important for someone else. For me they have to be of good quality material and made from natural fibers - I tend to favor wool and cashmere. I also favor very traditional patterns and prints, but love to shake it up with various color options for those pattern. Basically you want to choose materials and colors that you are drawn to that will compliment your jacket. What those choices are for you is highly personal though. As long as the scarf compliments your jacket, don't be afraid to have a little fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like this matching set: http://www.sweaterbaron.com/guys/images/a_m/studio_2011_06_01/700-013s_.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrifting is great, especially for wool items that get more pricey every year. Unfortunately, I live in MO and all the thrift stores are full of low-quality western wear and little else.

    ReplyDelete