Follow Me

Friday, September 6, 2013




ANCHORS AWEIGH

I love anchors.  I’m not really sure why but I do.  Maybe it’s because they symbolize so many different things for me.  First there is the nautical aspect.  I live in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, so watching sailboats, and spending time on shorelines, is one of my most enjoyable summer activities.  There is also something refreshing and invigorating about being on a lake.  There’s a calming sense of peace and tranquility there for me, and anchors have come to symbolize that.

A great tattoo on a tightrope walker at Lake Calhoun.

Many of the monuments at Lakewood Cemetery have anchors.


Secondly, from a spiritual perspective, anchors have come to symbolize hope.  That feeling that no matter what difficulties may come our way, there is always a deep, internal sense of hope.  Hope is what keeps us moving forward when times are tough.

While antiquing this spring, from blown glass . . .

. . . To inkwells, anchors were everywhere.

Finally, anchors ground us.  Whether in a boat on the open waters, or in our everyday lives on land, anchors keep us grounded, no matter what chaos may come our way.  I know a young woman in recovery who has anchors tattooed on her ankles.  For her, this is a constant reminder to keep her feet well grounded in her recovery program.  Anchors do that for us.  They keep us strong, steadfast, and focused as we travel this journey called life.

This is one of my favorite restaurants.


Like I said, I love anchors, but I am always surprised at how many times I encounter them in my daily life.  They turn up everywhere, and I am always grateful for their reminder to stay focused and grounded.




Amidst the confusion of the times, 
the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.

                                                      - Thomas S. Monson










No comments:

Post a Comment