Follow Me

Saturday, December 22, 2012



HOLIDAY VISIT TO THE MINNEAPOLIS INSTITUTE OF ART

One of my favorite places to visit here in the city is the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA).  I love to spend an afternoon wandering through its galleries.  For me it’s the perfect way to spend the day, and I can lose myself for hours there.  

Each month, on the third Thursday, MIA sponsors a program called, appropriately enough, Third Thursday.  On this evening, there is a special themed program – usually highlighting an exhibit they are currently featuring.

This week a friend and I attended the Third Thursday evening and it was wonderful.  The theme for the evening centered around a Tudor banquet exhibit they are showcasing.  As part of the evening's activities, a number of local restaurants prepared authentic Tudor desserts that we were invited to sample.  The desserts were amazing and gave me new insights into some of the food Henry VIII and Elizabeth I might have enjoyed.


In addition to the Tudor attractions and activities, the Museum’s visiting exhibit, China’s Terracotta Warriors: The First Emperor’s Legacy was open to guests.  I had been wanting to see this exhibit for awhile, and Third Thursday provided the perfect opportunity for me to do so.  If you haven’t seen this exhibit I highly recommend it.  It’s just incredible!



The evening ended with musical entertainment from L’Assassins and a visit to the Museum gift shop.  All in all an awesome evening of art, food, and music spent in the company of a good friend.  

MIA is a real treasure here in Minneapolis and I encourage everyone to take advantage of it and visit as often as you can.  There is truly something for everyone and you won’t be disappointed.




No comments:

Post a Comment