Follow Me

Monday, October 8, 2012


A LOVE AFFAIR PLACED ON HOLD


If you’re anything like me, you spend a substantial part of your year in boat shoes.  I anxiously look forward to that moment in spring when the weather here warms up enough so I can break out my favorite pair.  Even though I sometimes extend their wear both in spring and fall by wearing socks with them, I’m most happy when I’m able to go sockless.

This past week though, the temperatures here dropped substantially, reminding me that winter is just around the corner.  The colder temperatures also means I will soon need to put away this fashion favorite for a few months.


When it comes to boat shoes, for me, there is only one shoe – Sperry Topsiders.  I first discovered Topsiders when I was in college and have pretty much always had a pair in my wardrobe ever since.  I like them for how well they fit and how comfortable they are.  I’ve tried others, but there just isn’t any comparison for me. 

There is much to be said about how wonderful they look as the leather “breaks-in” and weathers, creating a comfortable, “homey” feeling for me as I slip into them.  They are like an old friend, and we have had a wonderful relationship for many years.

But now, as the weather is getting colder, I’m aware that it’s time to set them aside for a few months.  A love affair placed on hold for a bit.  It’s always a sad moment for me when I have to do that, but it’s a moment that’s balanced by the excitement I feel when I can once again wear them in the spring.

I’m not sure if you have this same experience that I do when the seasons change, but if you do, just know that I understand and that we will wait through the winter together.  Here’s hoping for an early spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment