Follow Me

Friday, October 19, 2012



HEIRLOOM TREASURES REDISCOVERED


The other day as I was going through some drawers, I found a wonderful wool scarf that my mom passed down to me.  I had totally forgotten that I had the scarf as it had been tucked away in the back corner of the drawer.

I remember my mom telling me that the scarf had belonged to my dad, and I’m going to say that it is at least 60 years old - maybe older.  I don’t ever remember seeing my dad wearing this scarf and I’m guessing it for sure dates to the 1950’s, but if my memory is right, I think this may have been the scarf he wore when he married my mom on December 27, 1945.




The scarf is a blanket plaid, in shades of brown and cream, and I LOVE it.  There are a few small holes (I guessing ash burns as my dad was avid smoker) but I don’t mind them at all.  They simply add to its charm and character for me.  I also love the fact that this is a heirloom that I have inherited from my dad.

Since finding the scarf, it has been added to my wardrobe and I have been wearing constantly.  And now that the weather has turned much colder here in Minnesota, I realize that I rediscovered it at the perfect time.

There’s something very comforting about wrapping a cozy, warm, wool scarf around your neck on a cold day, and it’s even more comforting knowing that the scarf came from my dad.  Although he has been gone for many years, it’s just another way that he is still present with me.

I encourage all of you to search through closets and drawers, and ransack old trunks.  You never know what wonderful heirlooms you’ll rediscover, or what classic treasures you’ll be adding to your own wardrobe.


No comments:

Post a Comment