Follow Me

Friday, February 7, 2014





FAIR ISLE SOCKS

When most of us think of Fair Isle knitwear we usually think of colorfully patterned sweaters, and rightly so.  We see them everywhere at this time of year and they are some of the most beautiful sweaters of the season.  While I love these sweaters, I must admit that I am most drawn to Fair Isle patterned socks.


Fair Isle knitwear take its name from the knitting that had its origins on Fair Island, a tiny island that is part of the Shetland Islands just north of Scotland.  It is identified by the multiple colors of yarn used and the elaborate alternating design patterns.  The results of this mixture are truly amazing.


Like so many things, Fair Isle knitwear fell out of favor for quite awhile.  People just sort of lost interest.  Then the Duke of Windsor was seen in a Fair Isle sweater and all of that changed.  From his early days as Prince of Wales continuing all through his life, the Duke was always seen as a fashion trendsetter, and whatever he wore, everyone wanted to wear.  Thus new life was breathed into Fair Isle knitwear.

Here a few pairs of  Fair Isle patterned socks from my wardrobe.

From left to right these socks are from Brooks Brothers, 
Gant, Ralph Lauren Polo, J Crew, and Barbour.

I especially love the beautiful patterns of Fair Isle socks during winter.  For me they just seem to go hand-in-hand with this time of year.  If nothing else, their beautiful colors make me think warm thoughts of the spring that I know will eventually come.












No comments:

Post a Comment