Follow Me

Monday, September 24, 2012


THE COLORS OF FALL PART ONE

GET SUEDE INTO FALL AND PUT YOUR 
BEST FOOT FORWARD!

The one shoe that represents fall to me has always been the classic “dirty buck”  - that country cousin of the refined and epic “white buck.”  Its wonderful shade of tan gives me a sense of warmth as I make the transition into the cooler months, and its traditional suede body is both comforting and familiar.  This shoe gives me that sense of “home” as I rustle through the fallen leaves amidst the bright colors of the trees.  Yes, for me, this is the classic fall shoe.




I really do like fall.  The fresh crispness in the air, the opportunity to layer on a warm sweater, and of course, the beautiful colors that appear all around me in nature.  Most of my friends will tell you that I’m all about color, so when those wonderful, rich fall colors are teamed up with that classic suede icon I’m in my element!

Nowadays, suede shoes are no longer limited to the traditional white and tan colors, and we have a virtual artist’s pallet to choose from, including suede shoes in the wonder hues of fall.  With that in mind I thought I would feature a few from my own collection.



The first, pictured here on the left, is the classic “dirty buck” that I have come to love over the years.  This one is from G.H. Bass and is a constant in my wardrobe.  A variation of the “dirty buck” can be seen on the right in a saddle format (also from Bass).  I have rediscovered a love for saddle shoes and have several in a wide variety of colors (they allow me to add my own personal sense of flair, color and fun to any outfit).  The one pictured here is more traditional. 

The shoes in the middle are from Calvin Klein in a wonderful mustard yellow color.  Originally these shoes came with white laces that I have traded out for sage green laces for fall.  One of the easiest ways to extend your shoes and look is to simply trade out the laces.  It gives the shoes a fresh look and makes them more adaptable from season to season or from event to event.  I also have this same pair of shoes in red (they came with white laces too) but didn’t picture them here because I haven’t had a chance to trade out the laces – perhaps in a future post.



Other variations on the traditional “dirty buck” can be seen above.  I try to make sure people “don’t step on my blue suede shoes” when I wear the pair on the right (from Bass), and so far no one has.  In the middle, is the same shoe (from Bass) in a rich shade of orange/rust that is perfect for fall.  These shoes, like the blue ones, came with laces that matched, but I traded out the rust colored laces for the green laces and they look great.  The color combination just pops! 

The last pair, on the right, is probably one of my favorite pairs of shoes.  The Sperry Topsider’s suede boat oxford wingtips in an awesome shade of olive/moss green.  The backs of these shoes are soft, supple leather that molds around my ankles for maximum comfort.  I like that they come with leather laces too which is another reason they are perfect for fall.

So there you have it.  A few of the suede shoes from my closet in shades that are perfect for fall.  As we transition into the cooler weeks ahead, don’t just limit your bright color options to Fair Isle and Shetland sweaters.  Be sure to also give some serious thought to what happens below your ankles, and, above all, have fun!









No comments:

Post a Comment