Follow Me

Sunday, September 23, 2012

FOUNDATIONS OF STYLE

Many years ago while I was in college, I discovered Lisa Birnbach’s book, The Official Preppy Handbook, and my life was changed forever.  OK, maybe my life wasn’t actually changed and transformed by the book, but it did give me a grounding sense that I was home.






Growing up in rural Iowa, I was fortunate to have a father who taught me the importance of good dressing.  My dad, a part-time farmer, was also a salesman.  Although he didn’t need to wear them, ties were always a part of his wardrobe, and I credit him for my love (read that obsession) for ties today.  He also taught me the importance of wearing sport coats and suits, and the ever present wingtips.  In short, my dad taught me the importance of dressing right and I took it to heart – I didn’t even own a pair of jeans until I was in college because I would rather wear chino’s.

Following this initial upbringing, I soon became obsessed with men’s style and fashion magazines as I fine tuned my own personal style.  Over time, I learned to add my own personal flair and twist to make the look mine, careful to always root it in a traditional foundation.

So finding Birnbach’s book confirmed all that I had been taught as well as the things I had picked up on my own.  Not only did it give me a grounding for what I was already doing, it gave a more focused springboard from which to broaden my look out even farther.

With all of that in mind, my hope is that the entries I make here will resonate with others, and  that they can become a celebration of our shared love of that classic, traditional, preppy sense of style.  Keep in mind though, that from time to time you’ll be seeing my own personal twists incorporated into the looks.  Now, having said that, let’s begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment