Follow Me

Sunday, May 11, 2014





GREEN BLOCK OPTIC DEPRESSION GLASS

Every year on Mother’s Day, I find myself missing my Mom.  Mom passed away 14 years ago, but her presence is always with me.  Not only is her memory in my heart, but I am also surrounded by her presence in a number of the things I have inherited from her.  I remember her most keenly at the Holidays when I bring out her china for my dinners.  This year, however, I’ve found myself using my green Depression Glass dishes which also carry a connection to her.

I inherited a number of miscellaneous pieces of Depression Glass from my mother.  While most of them were random pieces from a variety of patterns, there were several matching pieces in the green Block Optic pattern. I fell instantly in love with these dishes and thus began my mission to collect a complete set.


For those who may not know, Depression Glass refers to glass dishes that were made from the late 1920’s until the early 1940’s, in short, during the Great Depression.  This pressed glassware was made inexpensively and almost always contained flaws and visible marks and seams from the molds.  What was unique about these dishes is the array of patterns and wonderful colors they came in, which were certain to brighten the table of any host or hostess.


Christmas 2011

In addition to their beautiful colors and patterns, they were also obtained very easily and inexpensively.  You could purchase pieces for five-cents or ten-cents, but they also came free in cereal boxes and soap boxes, with gas purchases, movie ticket purchases, insurance policy purchases, and a host of other means.  This easy obtainability ensured that most families had at least a few pieces in their household.


Mardi Gras 2014

My pattern is called Block Optic, and I collect it in green (it also came in pink, yellow, and crystal, with a few pieces in amber and blue).  Block Optic was made by the Hocking Glass Company in Lancaster, Ohio between 1929 and 1933 and, to my knowledge, was never reproduced like some patterns.  The green dishes were more widely produced so it is fairly easy to find additional or replacement pieces.  Most of my additions have come from eBay. 

Easter 2014

I love the Art Deco style of the Block Optic pattern, and the light green color (the color I inherited from my mother) has quickly become my favorite.  I also like the connection these dishes have to my mother.  Regardless of how large my collection eventually becomes, it will always have its genesis with her, and will always invoke her memory for me, and that is truly priceless.














2 comments:

  1. You can totally make it pop with a bit of black light shining on your gorgeous dining table. I love this stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the same thing. Because of my Love for the colection.

    ReplyDelete