Follow Me

Thursday, July 25, 2013



GENERATIONAL TIES

I admit it.  I have a “slight” tie addiction.  In fact I LOVE ties, and have been wearing them for so long that I can’t even remember the first time I wore them.  I know that as early as First Grade I was wearing - get ready for it - clip-on long ties, however, growing up on a farm usually meant the ties were reserved for church on Sundays.  Indeed, most of my tie wearing at that age centered around church activities.  First communion demanded a navy tie on a white shirt with navy pants, and later on, Confirmation would require a red tie on a white shirt.  

My First Communion and Confirmation "clip-on" ties.

Once I reached Junior High School and High School, ties became more frequent as more occasions to “dress up” presented themselves, and by college there were many social events where the mandatory tie was needed.  I learned early on how to tie straight ties, which served me well in college as I was asked tie the ties for dorm mates who were less versed in the art.  Once I graduated from college and joined the work force, ties were just part of my everyday attire, and since I love wearing them, they have never been a burden.  Now I have branched out into the wonderful world of bow ties as well.


A couple of my bow ties.

I inherited my love of ties from my Father.  As long as I can remember my Dad never left the house to attend any social gathering without a tie, and that example carried over to me.  It was almost as if I had inherited a “tie gene” from him. Likewise I’m sure he inherited that trait from his father, and he from his father, and so on.

My Dad starting wearing ties as a youngster.

Dad when he was sixteen years-old.

The photo of my Dad was taken shortly before he and my Mom were married.

Lately I’ve been thinking about how each generation teaches the next about the importance of “dressing up,” and how something as simple as wearing a tie makes such a powerful statement - it’s that extra touch to show you care.  

With that thought in mind, I started searching through old family photos for examples of different generations and the ties they wore.  Here are several examples my Father's side of the family that I hope you will enjoy.  Many of these are more formal photos that give a wonderful look at ties through the years.

My paternal Grandfather on his wedding day. . .

And again later in life.

This is my paternal Great-Grandfather at middle-age . . .

And again later in life.

This is a photo of my paternal Great-Great-Grandfather.
It's hard to see his tie with his vest and beard, but it's there!










No comments:

Post a Comment