Follow Me

Monday, April 22, 2013





RACHEL CARSON: A CONSERVATION PIONEER!

My Dad’s favorite book was Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring.”  This was a groundbreaking book (no pun intended) in its day and as we celebrate Earth Day, it seems only fitting that we should remember her.  

This was my dad's copy of "Silent Spring"

From early on I can remember My Dad telling me that, “We have to be careful what we put into the ground, because, ultimately it comes back to us.”  Dad, a farmer, was greatly influenced by Ms. Carson’s landmark book.  For as long as I can remember, he tried to incorporate as many organic methods to farming - and our family garden - as he could.  Manufactured chemical pesticides were shunned, and organic fish emulsion replaced chemical fertilizers.  My Dad knew the importance of caring for the land, and passed that awareness onto me and my siblings, and for that I am truly grateful.

Rachel Carson

Rachel Carson’s book inspired a grassroots environmental movement that led to the creation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and, more importantly, a nationwide ban on DDT and other pesticides.  So as we celebrate Earth Day today, let us also celebrate the work of this truly inspiring conservationist. 






No comments:

Post a Comment