Follow Me

Wednesday, April 24, 2013





BROOKS BROTHERS:  AN AMAZING MONTH!

There’s no doubt about it.  Brooks Brother’s is having an amazing month!  

So what makes this month so special for them? To start with, the month began with their 195 birthday.  On April 7, 1818, Henry Sands Brooks opened H & D.H. Brooks & Co.  The store was located on the northeast corner of Catharine and Cherry Streets in New York City.  Over the years the store would change locations, but it’s commitment to providing the highest quality of goods would remain constant as it clothed leaders from all walks of life including 39 of 44 sitting US Presidents.


On April 8 - the day after their birthday - Brooks Brothers won the “Brand Bracket” sponsored on line by Great Lakes Prep. The “Brand Bracket” is prep clothing’s fun equivalent to sport’s “March Madness.” Top brands are paired up and voted on over the course of several weeks, until two candidates remain.  This year’s final pairing pitted Brooks Brothers against Southern Tide.  The voting went down to the wire with Brooks Brothers prevailing, 2705-2678.


Following a last minute appointment with my tax preparer on April 15, I decided to head downtown for a little shopping.  Of course Brooks Brothers was one of my stops.  When I first walked in the door I was greeted by one of the most awesome displays of clothing, which, James informed me, was the new Gatsby line.  It was love at first sight! I immediately went online for more information, and let me just say there is a particular pink suit that I am lusting after!

My local Brooks Brothers store's Gatsby Collection display

The Gatsby line was inspired by the new Buz Luhrmann film “The Great Gatsby.”  Truthfully, I was initially upset when I first heard that they were going to be remaking this film.  I’m not especially a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio (for me, that role will always belong to Robert Redford - 1974 film), but this collection from Brooks Brothers was able to change my mind some.

I am very impressed with the film’s costume designer, Catherine Martin, for taking the time to meet with Brooks Brothers before tackling the designs.  F. Scott Fitzgerald was a life-long Brooks Brothers customer, and so was very familiar with the clothes that shaped that era.  Brooks Brothers opened their archives to Martin, who was able to view actual clothing from that period, and this collaboration resulted in a most stunning, and historically accurate costume display.


The second piece that came from this collaboration is the new “Gatsby Collection” that Brooks Brothers has just released.  The clothes, inspired by the styles of the 1920’s, have been updated for today, while maintaining their traditional look, fit and feel.  Unlike so many clothing lines today that feed into what is currently trendy, these clothes have a very traditional feel without feeling stuffy.  This collection and the collaboration with Martin, were enough to change my mind, and influence my decision to see the new “Gatsby” film.

So all things considered, Brooks Brothers is having and AMAZING month!!! 

I’m a relatively newcomer to Brooks Brothers, but they have fast become my favorite store.  My love for their clothes is a given, but as I learn more of their rich history, tradition, and unwavering attention to the smallest details, I have gained even more respect for them.  Happy Birthday Brooks Brothers, and congratulations on a successful collaboration, and an awesome new clothing line!








No comments:

Post a Comment